Dedicated annulment lawyers ready to help

In the realm of marital bonds in Singapore, divorce is typically an option only after a marriage has endured for a minimum of three years. However, there are certain circumstances that can arise after the union, rendering it eligible for annulment before three years is reached. Parties who are successful in obtaining an annulment effectively have their marriage declared as void, restoring both parties to their status as “single” rather than “divorced”.

In order for an annulment process to commence, one person must start the process on the grounds the marriage is either voidable or void.

Some examples of a void marriage include:

  • One person is already married.
  • Someone is under 18 and has not been authorised to get married.
  • Marriages between Muslims that are registered/solemnised under civil law.
  • Where the marriage was not properly solemnised.
  • The parties in the marriage are closely related by blood.

Some examples of a voidable marriage include:

  • The wife was already pregnant by another man at the time of the marriage.
  • Due to one or both parties’ incapacity, the marriage has not been consummated.
  • One party wilfully refuses to consummate the marriage.
  • The marriage has come about without valid consent due to one party consenting under a mental disorder, mistake, or duress.

At JCP Law, our annulment lawyers possess substantial expertise in representing clients pursuing marriage annulments and those who find themselves served with annulment petitions. Please reach out should you require any legal support, a first consultation is usually offered for free.

See more See less

Frequently asked questions

Am I eligible to seek an annulment?

Under Singapore law, parties who generally have to wait three years from the date of marriage before they can commence a divorce. There is some situations however where you may be able to annul the marriage before this:

  1. that the marriage has not been consummated owing to the incapacity of either party to consummate it;
  2. that the marriage has not been consummated owing to the willful refusal of the defendant to consummate it;
  3. that either party to the marriage did not validly consent to it, whether in consequence of duress, mistake, mental disorder or otherwise;
  4. that at the time of the marriage either party, though capable of giving a valid consent, was suffering (whether continuously or intermittently) from mental disorder within the meaning of the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) Act 2008 of such a kind or to such an extent as to be unfit for marriage;
  5. that at the time of the marriage the defendant was suffering from venereal disease in a communicable form;
  6. that at the time of the marriage the defendant was pregnant by some person other than the plaintiff.

If you wish to discuss your eligibility for annulment of marriage, please get in touch.

Do I need to appear in court?

Yes. In addition to preparing and filing all of the relevant documents, you will need to appear in open court and answer some questions before a Judge before you can obtain an annulment.

Do I really need a lawyer?

Given the substantial amount of documentation required, and your need to appear in open court, it is highly advisable to hire a lawyer to professionally handle the matter for you.

What documents need to be filed?

A number of documents are required to file for an annulment, these include:

  • Writ of Nullity
  • Statement of claim for nullity
  • Statement of particulars
  • Affidavit of evidence in chief
  • Acknowledgement of service
  • Memorandum of appearance (defendant)
  • Request for setting down action for trial
  • Request for set down (parties’ attendance required)
  • Draft consent order

Due to the number of documents required, this is why hiring a lawyer to handle it will make your life considerably easier.

Featured annulment content

Get in touch

Visit us:

Raffles Place

6 Battery Road, #11-01A,
Singapore, 049909
View on Google Maps
Appointment hours:
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm

× Available on Whatsapp Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday